Friday, December 30, 2016

Dashboard.

At last I had a day to do some more work on the car.
 So I prepared a good part of the piece that I cut out earlier to get access and welded it in place.
 Then I made a new part to replace the bad part of that piece and tacked it in place.
Then I ground all welds flat and applied some protective paint. This is looking much better than it was before.
 Some time before Christmas the new dashboard arrived. So I prepared it and held it in place with some vise-grips and some bolts to check the fitment of the part.
  And then I welded it in place and ground all the welds. On to the next thing.
 In the picture above you see a rail on the edge of the door opening. That rail was straightened and welded back in place. It was previously removed to get out the side panel.
 Same thing with the other side. After welding the welds were ground flush.
 Next I started with the rear right corner of the cab. A piece was cut out. It was badly pitted and full of tiny holes.
 First I selected a piece of plate big enough for making a new part.
 It was cut to shape and then I started with the rough shaping of the part.
 After some time pounding shrinking and stretching the part is taking form.
We are not there yet but we are getting close. It will take some more time working the metal to have it like the original but we are getting there.

No comments:

Post a Comment