Thursday, March 9, 2017

Making some parts.

Today we started with the fabrication of the rear bumper struts.
So I started with milling a slot in the four pieces of flat stock my colleague bought yesterday.
 Then I installed the rear piece of the bed to be able to mount the rear splash guard above the bumper. Now i have a reference point to take my measurements.
Then I started shaping the first bar. and with that one as a mold I made a mirror of the first for the other side.
 Then the second bar is made .
 Measurements are taken to cut the bars to length and drill the mounting holes. And after some fitting and bending the fit nicely.
In order to finish the bed I had to disassemble the parts already mounted.
 With some precut metal strips I went to work where I was able to cut the parts to the correct size and bent it like they should. After I went back to my shop I first started with drilling the holes in the L-shaped rail.
 At work I also made a new piece for the back panel of the bed.
 The parts that need to be welded together are then sanded and coated with a galvanic paint.
 The corners for the side panels are then clamped to the panel with some claps and the welding could begin. The first corner is done .
 When both corners were welded on I turned it over to weld the L-shape to the panel.
 This is the finished result so far.
 The round tube like top section was cut-off the old panel.
 And then tacked to the new panel with a Mig welder.
The rest of this story will be for tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment