Monday, March 6, 2017

Preparing for trial fitting

Today I made everything in order to be able to start with the trial fitting of all the body work.
This way we can be sure that everything is going to fit when it's painted.
I started with the repair of the cross member for the transmission. There were some serious cracks  that need welding.
 First the paint was ground away to be able to weld.  The cracks were then tacked together and the welding could begin.
The next thing I did was remove the battery box fabricated by a coworker. The battery would not fit.
I had one original side piece laying aside and I first made it straight. Then I used that side as a template to make one for the opposite side. Including the strut. Now it resembles more to the original box. All I need to do is make a bottom plate for it.
 And now the cross member could be bolted in place
 The welds of the cross member needs some paint and then it will be OK.
 Then I started with the brace that holds the radiator. There were some cracks that needed welding and a piece was missing. I fabricated the missing piece from some 2 mm sheet metal and welded that in place.
 Next I cut the truck bed apart into pieces.
 A work table was pulled to the middle of the work floor and I started drilling the weld from the side panels of the bed.  Everything came apart nicely.
 I then did the other side next.
 Here is a picture of how I put everything in order so we can start directly with mounting the cabin to the frame.
 Back to the bed. I laid a piece of sheet metal on the worktable and took some measurements and layout the outlines of the side panel. And then the first piece is cut out.
Tomorrow we will continue the work.

No comments:

Post a Comment