Tuesday, March 21, 2017

With a little help....

With a little help from my friends today we got a lot of work done.
While they were installing the engine and transmission in the frame, I opted to do some thing else.
I started with the fabrication of the speedo driven gear.
Previously I already had it disassembled  and made the axle a little straighter.
 First I turned the axle down where the gear is pressed on to make it perfectly straight.
 Then I ground a piece of HSS steel to the profile taken from the old gear.
 And then I made a holder for the cutter.
Here you can see the cutter mounted in my mill. I had to re grind the profile because the first time the rear was dragging on the cut.
Then I attached my rotary table on my mill using my tilt table to give it the angle that the gear has. and started milling on the first gear.
 I did make a few errors so I had to try a few times to get everything right.
 But finally everything came out right and it's now ready to be installed.
In between this whole operation I had to stop and do some other stuff.  The Yoke that mounts to the transmission was misaligned. I turned an axle to mount the yoke in my lathe so its running thru. Then the tops where the bushing is mounted on is turned down so that the mounts are 90° to the centerline. Then on the mill the half round holes are milled out to give more clearance. And with some special filler that really gets hard the space in between the hole and bushings are filled.
Oh, the other guy's Well they mounted the engine and the tranny like i said before. And trial fitted the exhaust. For that last one I will have to make a new flange to mount the exhaust to the engine.
 Well a job well done.

No comments:

Post a Comment